Palau – 2013 – 5 dollar – World of Wonders DRESDEN FRAUENKIRCHE (including box) (PROOF)
In stock (can be backordered)
Metal: Silver .925
Weight: 20 g
Diameter: 38.61 mm
The Evangelical-Lutheran Dresden Frauenkirche was built from 1726 – 1743 in baroque style. The building’s height is 92 metres.
During the devastating aerial attacks on Dresden in the Second World War, the church was completely destroyed. The Allies’ firebombs caused a firestorm in the city to which the church also fell victim. On February 15th 1945, badly damaged and completely burnt out, it collapsed and crashed in on itself. The church was not rebuilt In GDR times; the ruins were left as a memorial against war.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, between 1994 and 2005, the Frauenkirche was rebuilt and was reopened with an opening ceremony and a consecration service on October 30th 2005.